With the cool fall weather setting in, it’s the best time to pull out all your healthy and delicious recipes. Make sure you try this delicious black bean soup recipe the next time you’re looking for something to keep you warm.
- 1 pound dried black beans
- 2 bacon slices, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped carrot
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 4 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Wash and sort the beans. Place them in a large bowl and cover them with water. Cover, and let stand for 8 hours.
- Cook the bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until it’s crisp. Remove the bacon, and add onion, celery, and carrot into the pan, with the bacon drippings. Sauté for 10 minutes, or until it’s tender. Add garlic and jalapeno, and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the beans, broth, and bacon and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat and allow simmering for 1½ hours.
- Place 4 cups of the soup in a blender and blend until smooth. Add the smooth mixture back into the pan.
- Stir in limejuice, cilantro, salt and pepper and enjoy!
One Body Studios in La Habra would like to encourage you to try this delicious recipe this fall.